Monday, January 30, 2012

Stuck

The elevators in India are sketchy!! In most buildings, I just avoid them altogether and take the stairs. I am terrified of being stuck in them but in our apartment building, I have no option but to use them. We are on the 9th floor, so even if I wanted to, 9 flights of stairs with three kids would take half the day! :) Luckily the elevators in our building are nice and even have air blowing through them. Even still, it is not uncommon for them to just stop working randomly... electricity goes off, they break temporarily, etc. Several of our friends here have been stuck in them at one time or another.

Well, the other day, I thought my day had arrived... the kids and I got in one to go down & it never moved. Then the air quit blowing and it just stalled. In that very instant, Anna Claire and Bennett both started crying! I mean WAILING! I hadn't even said that we were stuck yet- they just knew- and they lost it! Which meant that Sutton started to cry too. So there we were- stuck in the elevator... one of my fears while here. I stayed calm and started thinking through our options while the 3 of them cried hysterically! All the sudden I noticed... no buttons were lit up. We had forgotten to push a button!!! We weren't stuck!!! It was hilarious! In the same instantaneous way they began crying, they all stopped!! I was so relieved!

So... it hasn't happened yet but I am geared up for it to now! Here's to hoping we won't get stuck- but knowing it may very well happen!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica i am really enjoying your blog! any chance i get i look to see if you wrote something! its so nice to learn more about pune! I am so encouraged and challenged by your life! thanks for sharing, love and miss you!
    Kimber May God continue to give you strength and peace! Eph. 3:20

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH,JESSICA!!!!! That is soooooo funny!! The elevator would be my fear also! I can just imagine what it was like before you noticed the buttons!!!!!! I love reading your blog. I am so glad you are letting us know how life in India is like with three kids! Give my precious babies a kiss and hug! Love you guys! Sancy

    ReplyDelete