We have poverty in the U.S. and it's hard to see but there are lots of days where I can keep my rose-colored glasses on and live in my little world and not have to see a lot of really sad situations. In India, however, there is no escaping the worst of the worst of poverty. It is every few feet and it is like nothing you see at home. The families that live in the slums we went to (just right down the road from our house) live in little tin tent-like dwellings. Some aren't even big enough to stand upright in. Most of those kiddos only have the outfit that they have on... not even matching and filthy dirty. I was trying to get girl clothes out for girls and boy clothes out for boys but the kids were so excited they didn't even care if the clothes were for a girl or a a boy...they just wanted to have something new to wear and play with. When we first drove up, one group of kids were playing with old, broken coconut shells and another was playing with a stick rolling an old bicycle tire- that was all they had to play with. How amazing for my kids to get to see that and begin developing thankful hearts. I'm praying these lessons that we're learning and the thankfulness for what God has given us, stay etched on our hearts.
Wednesday, April 18, 2012
Our Highlight
Last night we did one of our favorite things we've done while in India. We gathered up most of the kids' clothes & toys that we'd brought with us and went to the slums and handed them out. It was one of the saddest things we've done because you are face to face with some of the world's poorest people, but it was one of our favorite things because we got to share a tiny bit of material possessions with them & see how excited they were! It was such a great thing for Anna Claire & Bennett to get to be a part of and I was so proud of them for handing out their things to the kiddos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I can't tell you how proud I am of my family...all of you! What a blessing. Jessica and Brent, you two are the most loving parents I know.
ReplyDelete