Magic Show... it was all in Hindi so we didn't understand one word of it but the kids didn't seem to notice! :)
Mehtab blowing out his candles... they always have these fireworks candles at every birthday
Birthday boy after he got creamed!
Our friend, Mehtab, turned 6 yesterday so he invited all the kids in our society down to the lawn for his party. They had a man who performed a Magic Show and another man who painted tatoos on all the kids and then they had cake & snacks. The kids had a blast!
A few interesting differences in Indian birthdays is that the birthday-boy/girl always gets cake smeared all over their face (similar to what some people do at weddings!) I went to a birthday party for some college students and they did the same thing even at that age!
Also, the birthday-boy/ girl gives gifts. It's called return-gifts and they bring something for all the kids at their party. Anna Claire got a Barbie & Bennett got a school supply set. (Mehtab also got presents but they don't sit around and watch him open them like we do at American birthday parties. He just opened them at home later that night with his family).
***On a side note...I'm so glad that Sutton is my third child and not my first because I am much more laid back with him than I was with Anna Claire which is essential for living here. Tonight at the party, they swooped in and everyone just grabbed Sutton and passed him from person to person (this is normal here) but they also gave him cake & chips. I would've freaked out if Anna Claire had eaten anything like that but it wasn't even worth the fight! They could NOT understand why I refused to let him drink Coke! Seriously, people try to feel him candy, coke, etc. all the time here and think I'm a crazy mom for not letting my 11 month old have that! Random strangers hand him pieces of candy all the time because they love babies so much so I just have to take it and secretly throw it away! Suttie's all for it, though! He loves life in India because he's spoiled rotten! :) ***
A few interesting differences in Indian birthdays is that the birthday-boy/girl always gets cake smeared all over their face (similar to what some people do at weddings!) I went to a birthday party for some college students and they did the same thing even at that age!
Also, the birthday-boy/ girl gives gifts. It's called return-gifts and they bring something for all the kids at their party. Anna Claire got a Barbie & Bennett got a school supply set. (Mehtab also got presents but they don't sit around and watch him open them like we do at American birthday parties. He just opened them at home later that night with his family).
***On a side note...I'm so glad that Sutton is my third child and not my first because I am much more laid back with him than I was with Anna Claire which is essential for living here. Tonight at the party, they swooped in and everyone just grabbed Sutton and passed him from person to person (this is normal here) but they also gave him cake & chips. I would've freaked out if Anna Claire had eaten anything like that but it wasn't even worth the fight! They could NOT understand why I refused to let him drink Coke! Seriously, people try to feel him candy, coke, etc. all the time here and think I'm a crazy mom for not letting my 11 month old have that! Random strangers hand him pieces of candy all the time because they love babies so much so I just have to take it and secretly throw it away! Suttie's all for it, though! He loves life in India because he's spoiled rotten! :) ***
I don't think Anna Claire was allowed to have ice cream until her first birthday party. I remember one time I had her and I was making choc chip cookies. She didn't know what those were! (She was old enough to tell me she didn't know what those were!)
ReplyDelete